T.P.A.C.K

This week’s focus is everything on T.P.A.C.K! 

Seriously, this is my first time hearing TPACK! In the very first place, I thought it’s just another kind of social network, perhaps like Diigo where people can share their ideas/opinions/teaching experiences in education field. After going through the study desk materials and other links/videos that David has given to us, I finally understand what does it all about!

Basically, T.P.A.C.K stands for
Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge

I have read some of the readings available from study desk and I have found keywords and explanation which help me to understand what exactly it is all about.

Harris and Hofer (2009, p. 99) suggest

“Successful technology integration is rooted in curriculum content and students’ content-related learning processes primarily, and secondarily in savvy use of educational technologies.”

As an educator, we MUST:

“When integrating educational technologies into instruction, teachers’ planning must occur at the nexus of standards-based curriculum requirements, effective pedagogical practices, and available technologies’ affordances and constraints.”

A key idea flowing from TPACK is that there should be alignment between the content, the pedagogy and the technology that you use. 

One of my coursemates, Jess actually talked about  TPACK  too! TPACK comprises of  three important components of teaching which they’re to work together to achieve best result in teaching.

These are:

Content Knowledge (CK)
Include knowledge of concepts, theories, ideas, organizational frameworks, knowledge of evidence and proof, as well as established practices and approaches toward developing such knowledge (Koehler & Mishra, 2009).

Pedagogical Knowledge (PK)
Teachers’ deep knowledge about the processes and practices or methods of teaching and learning (Koehler & Mishra, 2009).

Technological Knowledge (TK)
Knowledge about certain ways of thinking about, and working with technology, tools and resources. and working with technology can apply to all technology tools and resources  (Koehler & Mishra, 2009).

From the website of Teaching Teachers For The Future, the definition and its explanation on what is TPACK is clear and easily be understood.  I have come across with this example given which enables me to have more understanding of it. It says that teaching mathematics to Year 2 learners requires different pedagogical uses of ICT than teaching history in secondary school or literacy in the early years. Therefore, teachers need to make creative and links between what is being learned (content), how it is taught (pedagogy), and the appropriate tools (technology).

From my opinion, I personally think that it is really a CHALLENGING one although I have not tried on using this but I guess it’s always not easy to plan lessons which combine three of the components (CK, PK, TK) so well and nice! Anyways, I will keep learning on using TPACK in my teaching field especially the Technology Knowledge (TK) as I am not really competent in working with technology, tools and resources.

References: 

Commonwealth of Australia (2011).  Teaching Teachers For The Future. Retrieved from  http://www.ttf.edu.au/what-is-tpack/what-is-tpack.html.

Harris, J., & Hofer, M. (2009). Instructional Planning Activity Types as Vehicles for Curriculum-Based TPACK Development Introduction. In C. D. Maddux (Ed.), Research highlights in technology and teacher education 2009 (pp. 99–108). Society for Information Technology in Teacher Education.

Koehler, M. J., & Mishra, P. (2009). What is technological pedagogical content knowledge? Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 9(1), 60-70.

TPACK integration [image]. Retrieved from  http://ncltitpack.ncdpi.wikispaces.net/UnPACK+your+Discipline+TPACK

3 thoughts on “T.P.A.C.K

1. Pingback: Learning Journal of EDC3100 » Blog Archive » TPACK

2. Pingback: T.P.A.C.K | Journey with the little ones

3. Pingback: Stereotype view about ICT — Life Long Learning